Infotainment Overload



It's the beginning of the lockdown, newspapers are locked down too. But, no! Wait! Here's my daily supply of information, neatly packaged first as a set of hyperlinks and then as downloadable PDF files. All the newspapers I could think of, delivered to my WhatsApp inbox. Thank you, my multiple well-wishers -- I wish I could say that in as many unintelligible languages you have inflicted on me. Truth be told, I particularly like the headlines in the languages that look like good old Bengali jalebis!

I'm sure you all must be experiencing what can broadly be described as Information Overload? The same information in multiple feeds, groups, broadcast lists, or even painstakingly identified and fed directly to you. Of course, just in case, in your zeal to hit the delete button you got rid of them early, you always have Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to keep them alive and circulating way beyond their expiry date - or yours, whichever comes first. This morning I even got one which listed the "Rules" from the "Ministry of Digital Economy" threatening me with possible dire consequences if I made calls, sent messages, or even read them and smiled. Oh, horror ... which lasted a few minutes till the person, most likely prompted by a response from Snopes, sent a follow up saying, "It's a fake .. there is no such Ministry".

Why do I call it Infotainment Overload? A combination of real or pseudo information and pure entertainment. Information includes Government directives and advisories (which may not trickle down to the lathi-wielding vigilantes, sadly) and fairly obvious 'fake news' forms the bulk of this. Pseudo-information which borders on entertainment, depending on how gullible you are, includes photographs and videos of the same vague crowds with the multiple captions ranging from Rajabazar to Metiabruz in Kolkata or Dharavi to Dhobitalao in Mumbai, some of them with thinly disguised communal captions! This class of forwards also covers the medical advice from John Hopkins (they get dragged in everywhere) to United Nations (they should get dragged in everywhere) to a renowned MD from California, less renowned doctors practising medicine broadly classified as Ayush. And I am not going to give the gau-ry details of the "natural remedies and preventive treatments" that abound (this article is rated 'U').

The Entertainment value is really where I am getting the most benefit. From the ubiquitous videos of handwashing and sanitizing - don't miss Bengali Aunty - to the excellent remakes and retakes of popular songs. Two versions of Bohemian Rhapsody (Contagion Rhapsody) and I Wanna Wash My Hands with visemes of the Beatles and the corresponding music - worth sharing. So, that's what I am doing. I have this broadcast list called "Friends" (what else?) where I post carefully curated and credited forwards for my friends to have a laugh. Those that respond unhappily are surreptitiously removed - shh, don't tell them.

Hope you have seen the video of this sardar dancing madly in the street with the caption 'Soshal Distan Singh'? - it's funny! But the caption on the video says "His wife has been quarantined for 14 days" - a sudden uprising of dark humour that can be seen in memes and cartoons indicating a need to laugh like you would if you saw someone slip on a banana peel and crack his head, sad and funny. Funnier and not so sad are the visuals outside the booze shops locally and in Kerala - people who feel they can drink away their concern or at least die happy.

And then there is Edutainment - staying educated during the lockdown. Lots of schools are giving online classes and homework (Why? This only exposes mum's and dad's ignorance) and piano and guitar tutors are giving free lessons via Facebook Live, Zoom, Skype and stuff like that. Amazon, Netflix and other libraries have made books and movies free for download. The Internet providers are struggling to keep their bandwidth and chins up. We could all end up far more educated than ever before, due to this lockdown.

I need to end this article now as I just received a warning that "they come in the night, they take away your kids and lock them up, you never see them again". The harried lady I shared this with has two kids under 10. Her response? "Is that a promise? When?"

Stay home! Stay safe! And laugh!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ulta Pulta or Any Way Up

Zoom in to Quaranteaching

Digestive Snacks